Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Ten Christmas Things I Watch Every Year



 This isn't a real list of what Christmas movie/special is the best, but it is a list of the specials I try to watch every year. So they are in no real order.

Black Christmas: The one horror choice on the list. It has become a holiday tradition to watch this creepy and inappropriate movie. If you haven't seen it, maybe you should wait until a non-Christmas season. But hey, Christmas is right there in the title! It has a scary killer, a fun cast and set many of the standards that we see in slasher films that came after it. Perhaps not the most holiday-appropriate choice, but it's one I always love to watch.

Die Hard: The only thing Die Hard has to do with Christmas is some holiday music and the setting of the movie. But it still feels more like a Christmas movie to me. They are still making sequels to this but to me, it's not a true Die Hard sequel unless John McClane is stuck somewhere for Christmas in an improbable situation.

Mickey's Christmas Carol: This is probably my favorite version of the story, which either makes me a total child or a sentimentalist, I'm not sure. But I've seen this countless times (I've even watched it a few times during the normal part of the year) and can't ever stop loving it. It's all of the Disney characters I grew up with telling a timeless Christmas story. And really, if you're going to cast someone to play Scrooge, you can't do better than Scrooge McDuck. It's in his name!

A Garfield Christmas: I usually watch Mickey and Garfield back to back. When I think of the orange fat cat, I think of Lorenzo Music, every time. Bill Murray is great, but he's just not Garfield. This Christmas special is from the same people who put together Garfield and Friends, but it's better because it's about Christmas. I mean come on, Odie gets Garfield a Christmas present that he made himself, how can you not love this special?

Elf: If you told me Will Ferrell played one of Santa's elves, I'd assume it would be funny. I wouldn't assume that the Christmas movie would be one with a lot of heart and childlike wonder. As far as actual substance goes, Elf may be the best thing Will Ferrell's ever done. The thing I love most about his performance is that Buddy is not just a one-note joke character (like say, Ron Burgundy). He's full developed and innocent, but still funny because of how he acts in a very cynical world. It's one of those movies that gets you into the mood for the holidays, because it's impossible for Buddy's love of Christmas not to rub off on you.

Home Alone: What else do I need to say? This movie practically was my childhood at Christmas. To this day I can quote it with my brother or friends without any trouble. Does anyone else remember when the original VHS tape came with a "Kevin's Floor Plan" that showed where every single trap was? I seem to be the only one who remembers that. At any rate, it's not as heartfelt as other Christmas movies, but it's a lot of fun, and that's all I ask.

Muppet Christmas Carol: The other Christmas Carol version I watch. Gonzo plays Charles Dickens, with Rizzo as his helper, as they narrate the story. If it wasn't for the Muppets, I wouldn't care as much. A Christmas Carol has to have something special in order to differentiate it from the million other versions. It's absolutely perfect casting for most of the small roles too. Statler and Waldorf as Jacob Marley (and his brother, apparently)? Spot on.

Rankin-Bass Christmas Specials: I'm specifically mentioning Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman and Santa Claus It's Coming To Town. Little Drummer Boy does not hold up for me at all. Rudolph is the best of the three, with Frosty right behind it. I like Santa Claus, but it's not as memorable as the other two. Still, all three in one block are worth watching every year.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: This one is actually newer because I went a long time without actually seeing it for the first time. It's a shame, I know. But if you're a fan of a lot of bad things happening to one person in the name of comedy, you'll enjoy this. Chevy Chase is never funnier than he is in this movie.

A Christmas Story: This seems to be on everyone's list, and for good reason. It's not even my favorite Christmas movie. I like it, and I enjoy watching it every year, but it's just not my favorite. But I do watch it every year because its hard to miss when TBS airs it for 24 hours straight. I don't need to explain why it's a good movie, because if you've seen it you know. It's nostalgic for everyone, even those who didn't grow up with the movie or in that time period. It just has that kind of feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment